Monday, June 30, 2008

Playing Games

Joy has invited me to join her in a friendly game of tag. So from her blog at, I am responding.

Here are the rules:

1. Link back to the person that tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Share 6 unimportant things about yourself.
4. Tag 4 people at the end of your entry.

About Me.

1. At age of 11, I had saved enough money from picking six-cent a quart strawberries, six-cent a pint raspberries and 15-cent a peck tomatoes to pay for my ballet lessons for one year, the required shoes and clothes and the costumes for the recital at the end of the year.

2. I own seven musical instruments.

3. A year ago, I downsized the clutter in my home by getting rid of 80% of what was in my house. Other people still think the remaining 20% is an overcluttered house.

4. Half of my finished room in the basement is covered in material, the other half in wool and thread.

5. I procrastinate a lot so it took me several days to get around to answering this tag.

6. My two lovely feline lady companions' names are Starlight and Lovely.

The next four people whom I am going to ask to join in this game (isn't it fun?) are the following:

Lily --
Clyde --
Barbara --
Tatting Chic --

BEWARE of this website

All the tatting patterns being sold at are FREE at

Selling the patterns is NOT illegal. They are public domain books that she has put into an electronic file. What is questionable
is that (1.) she is selling what is actually FREE if you know where to get it and (2.) her gallery suggests that these are the patterns you are getting, which is true in some cases, where what she has taken are pictures of things which others have tatted from the vintage books.

Please be aware that this site is not 'above board' and ignore it.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

International Round Robin Tatting Complete

My tatting for the last person for me is now finished. I will take the cross bookmark to my executive meeting of my smocking guild tonight as the guild was very excited at the last meeting of our year to learn that I knew how to tat. Consequently, Rita Cochrane has consented to teach this smocking guild how to needle tat at a workshop.

I have enjoyed being in the international beginner round robin. I look forward to my participation in the summertime Christmas exchange organized by Sue Hanson, list mom for the Yahoo group, Here-Be-Tatters.

On this bookmark, I tatted the tassel, unlike the first one. This pattern is again from Monica Hahn's book, Christmas Angels and other Tatting Patterns. Also, this time, as I am more advanced in my tatting skills, I used Altin Basak 50 thread, where the yellow cross bookmark was tatted in crochet cotton #10.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Graduation Cap

Last Saturday, my nephew, Michael graduated with his first university degree. My sister had purchased a card with a caricature of a graduate on the front and the words "Nice Hat" on the inside. When she told me about this card, I said that there had just been a graduation cap pattern by Mark Meyers and Lauren Snyder posted on the internet and would she like me to tat it for her to insert in her card and continue the funny. She was pleased.

At the ceremony, none of the graduands wore mortarboards. When Michael opened his gifts and cards, my sister told him this would be the only one he would have. He even put it on his head, giving us all a good laugh. (He is six foot, five inches tall) His university's colours are black and gold. As he is continuing on in the fall to study for his master's degree, I have two years to come up with the next graduation idea.

This is my thirteenth motif in the 25-motif challenge so now I am halfway. (October is coming fast)

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

New Tatter Learned Tonight

Tonight at my needleart sharing group, one young lady needed some tools with which to work, so I asked her if she would like to learn to tat. She was very enthusiastic, and with a post shuttle, was flipping stitches within minutes. She was so enthused that she took tatman's web address to entice her male friend.

She was very interested when I mentioned the Fringe Element Tatters "Fall into Tatting" tat days on the last weekend in September in Cambrdge, Ontario, Canada. (for info