Sunday, July 6, 2008

'Ring Stitch'

When I was at the lacers' guild meeting this afternoon, I was working with one of the other women there who were tatting. She showed me that she starts each ring with a 'ring stitch' - an extra stitch at the beginning of the ring. From what I understood, she does this to 'open' the ring.

Does anyone else use this technique and if so, can you please explain it further to me. As I was so intent on my own project, I didn't ask to look at her work to see what effect an extra ds in each ring would have.

2 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

That's the first time I ever heard of someone adding an extra stitch like that. It doesn't seem like it would help open the ring at all, just goof up the pattern, IMHO. But then again, we all have our own little "quirks" we get into the habit of doing, that we think we couldn't possibly live without, LOL! If she enjoys doing it that way, and thinks it helps, then it works for her.

Unknown said...

That is the first time I've ever heard of something like that. I agree with Yarnplayer. I wonder if you may have to ask this lady directly to get an answer.